Community - Bookham Community Information
The Bookham Community is comprised of Great and Little Bookham, both of which lie astride the A246 and the Lower Road running parallel with it. The church is usually the oldest building in a village and St Nicolas Church is no exception, as it is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. There are many buildings scheduled as having architectural, historical or artistic merit, probably the best know being Polesden Lacey, a National Trust property, reputed to be the most visited in Surrey. There are extensive grounds, a walled rose garden, lawns and landscaped walks. King George VI and Queen Elizabeth The Queen mother spent part of their honeymoon there in 1923. There is also an open-air theatre.
The Bookham Community Association was established in 1947 to advance education and provide facilities for the leisure time of the local community. Its main functions are to manage the Old Barn Hall, publish Bookhams Bulletin four times a year and organise village day and village week held in June of each year. The original part of the Old Barn Hall was one of the two largest barns in Bookham recorded in a survey in 1614. Arthur Bird was responsible for converting the barn into the hall, which he conveyed to the Parish in 1906. Subsequently it has been extended with many of its affiliated groups (approximately 100) regularly using it for functions, meetings, concerts and plays.
The total population is about 12,000 with many new houses being constructed since the early 1960's. There is a full range of shops catering for your every day needs, including a butcher who wins prizes for his sausages and a wet fish shop.